Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

All the mothers in my life woke up to, what else...rain. Sigh!

And if you bought your mom one of these upside-down tomato planters (hey, you never know, some moms may want one :-) ) here's something they don't tell you on the commercial: The tomato plant will want to grow UP.
This is a problem because, as the plant gets bigger and produces fruit, the weight of the tomatoes may break the plant. This was actually reported by some acquaintances of mine who tried this planter a couple of years ago. I don't know if this happens to all varieties of tomatoes. It is happening to the Jet Star growing in my upside-down planter. I think putting a bamboo stake and training the plant when it is young may solve the problem.

The tomatoes in my containers are finally getting taller. I thought they may not grow anymore since I started them so early and left them in their small pots for so long but they are showing vertical growth at last. Some of them are bearing fruit now.

Because of all the rain we've gotten lately, I am growing small mushroom forests on some of my containers:
Mushroom Forest
The Tom Thumb and Tin Tin lettuce are doing ok in the square-foot-gardening beds


And look at the pretty squash flower! This plant won't survive unfortunately as it has been attacked by some borer. I would show you the beast but I sliced it when I extracted it from the stem of the plant and it just looked like goo afterward. I may have killed the plant as well, although the leaves are not droopy anymore.

Flower six packs were on sale so I picked a few.

The largest of my potato plants is budding. I can't imagine that there are potatoes in there already so I am going to let it sit for a while longer.

Here is my 3 year old at breakfast. Later, he will go and dig in the yard for the sheer pleasure of it and I will dig alongside him (for the sheer pleasure of it).
My 5 year old was unavailable for a photo shoot.
Also, the sweet corn is as high as a cricket's eye, the giant sunflowers are all up, the giant kale has sprouted, black bean seedlings are making their appearance as are the sweet peas. I planted green beans and more radishes. I harvested and ate all my radishes except for a few that just did not grow.

4 comments:

  1. The way you put it, you dig alongside him for the sheer pleasure of it.... Hmmm, I guess thats the truth!.. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to mothers where ever....

    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I didn't know that squash flower can be so beautiful till I see your picture :-) Your lettuces are looking good! Have a wonderful week and happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bangchik,
    I love the smell of the soil when it is at the right moisture point. My boys love to dig holes, sometimes even if there is a plant there! :-)

    Stephanie,
    Yeah, they are beautiful and they are delicious too! Thank you for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice lettuce. Potato plant looking healthy too. It will be exciting to reveal the treasure beneath the soil. It's a big mystery until the container is tipped up. Happy Gardening!!!

    ReplyDelete