Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A definite lack of pollinators

Where are my pollinators? I have yet to see a bee in my garden. In years past, I've had to contend with bees, wild and otherwise, wasps, yellow-jackets, bumblebees, and a number of other winged creatures that are fond of exploring the inside of a flower.
This year? Only flies and mosquitoes.

Yesterday, for the first time, I saw a wasp exploring around the lettuce and a butterfly was hovering around the blackberry bush. That's it!

One of my neighbors has a HUGE honeysuckle bush that attracts all kinds of living things but this year I haven't seen any.

So the mystery is: What's pollinating all my veggies? Is it possible that all the fruit in my plants is the result of wind pollination?

Only the Shadow knows....

Over and out.

5 comments:

  1. That is weird..bees have gone missing over the last few years but we usually see one or two.
    I have to say that my comfrey is full of bees, more bees on it than any of my other flowers, veggies and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret,
    I will have to plant comfrey next season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, you visited my blog and thank you for leaving a comment.I garden at home and also on an allotment which from reading down your previous posts you would call a Gardening Club!We grow vegetables on the plot in the allotments and I enjoy the social side of having someone to chat to, exchanging ideas and advice.We have lots of bees but I remember reading somewhere that there was a problem with the American bee population dying out?We also have lots of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, check with your local ag extension to see what your alternate native pollinators are. Honeybees aren't native, the lack of them in your area doesn't really mean much except that maybe whoever was importing them to a local agricultural field decided not to pay steep fees for a hive this year or something.

    Honeybees are actually very POOR pollinators -- they only hit about 15-20 blooms per day per worker, but have the side effect of producing honey. Native bees and wasps can hit up to 500 per day per worker but don't produce honey and sometimes don't live in combs.

    The most common species here are actually predatory wasps, which have the nice side effect of laying their young inside the bodies of pest insects in my garden. ;) Your local ag extension should be able to explain what's common in your area and how to attract them if need be. Chances are that they're already there, and you just can't see them because they're too small and move too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peggy,
    I am hoping to rent an allotment this year from a local organization called "The Garden of Eatin" so I can make gardening friends.

    Karl,
    thanks for the info! You are right about the other pollinators and that's usually what hangs out in my garden. This year, I have seen only one wasp and the little yellow feral bees are totally missing. Funny thing is, this year I planted flowers and let the weeds flower to help the little beasties. Maybe you're right and I am just not seeing them. I hope so because I want more of them not less.

    ReplyDelete