Thursday, May 7, 2009

May 7th

And the winner for first tomato of the season is...

Jet Star!

Despite all the warnings I got about starting strawberries from seed, I tried it anyway. I successfully germinated 9 Sarian strawberries and 3 Alpine. This is the only plant that survived the transplant outside. It's a Sarian Strawberry.

Suckers. There is one born every minute, and you can grow them into full tomato plants once you pinch them! I waited too long and these tomato suckers got big. I knew from experience you could plant them and they will root. I planted these about 10 days ago and they are now shooting new leaves. Some people say that these will not produce fruit but I got fruit from planted suckers last year.

And speaking of tomatoes, this is one of my volunteer tomatoes this year. They don't look like any tomato seedling I've seen before. I know they are tomatoes because I actually found one of these growing from a mummified tomato buried in the bed. I have dozens of them growing in my watermelon bed (all my watermelon seedlings died), This is the bed where I grew the alien cherry tomato last year. My sister-in-law swears they are volunteer trees but these are not growing anywhere else in my yard; and how did the tree seed get inside the mummified tomato?

Last, this is the latest entry in what's fast becoming the largest category in my gardening blog:
LEXIE DAMAGE:
She ate the hose out of one of my rain barrels. Plus, in doing so, she tipped the barrel and all the rain water was spilled.
She also has eaten three branches of my blackberry bush (it's thornless)
She better be done teething soon, I am tired of fencing everything!

4 comments:

  1. Teething? I don't think teething is the issue -- dogs just chew on stuff. (As an aside, if she's teething, put some plain yogurt inside a Kong and freeze it.) Mine are 2.5 and 3 years old and still chew on everything at hand, romp in the compost bin, and generally wreak havoc when they're not monitored.

    One solution is to, when she's not being monitored, keep her inside a dog run. It might be cheaper for you to make a 10x5" chain link fence run with a grassy area for potty and a small deck with a shade/rain canopy for shelter and napping. Just make sure there's a plentiful supply of water, and that the fence material is trenched a foot below ground so that she can't dig out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karl, that's good advice.
    I do have a dog pen. I just thought a puppy should run free. I am seriously rethinking that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, how are you? Looks like your Jet Star tomato is growing healthily. You dog has strong teeth. Look like she needed to be in the pen :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie,
    You are right about my new dog. She is only 5 months old but she is getting big and she very strong. I will have to put her in the pen which makes me sad but she is very destructive. She ate a 2x4 piece of lumber. She started gnawing on one end and in a couple of weeks the whole thing was gone. We had a very strong thunderstorm early this morning. I am afraid my Jet Star tomato will be gone.
    Thank you for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete